Category VI - retired, dependents, reserve, ROTC, NUPOC, CEC, veterans with a permanent service-connected disability rated as total, and surviving spouses of service members who died in active duty, inactive duty training, or annual training status
- National Guard/Reserve components/members of the Ready Reserve and members of the Standby Reserve who are on the Active Status List.
- Retired military members who are issued DD Form 2 and eligible to receive retired or retainer pay.
- Family members (with a valid identification card) of retired members when accompanied by a sponsor.
- Surviving Spouses (i.e. Widow/Widowers) of Service members who died while on active duty, inactive duty training, or annual training status as well as retired military members, and their accompanying dependents, must have a DoD USID and privilege card. Dependents who are under the age of 14 must possess a Federal-, State-, local-, or tribal government-issued identification.
- Authorized veterans with a permanent service-connected disability rated as total or VA-100% Disabled Veteran.
Category III - Ordinary leave, relatives, house hunting permissive TDY, MOH holders & foreign military
- Members of the uniformed services in an ordinary or re-enlistment leave status.
- Military personnel traveling on permissive temporary duty (TDY) orders for house hunting.
- If the permissive TDY is for the purpose of permanent change of station house hunting, the member travels in Category III and can be accompanied by one family member.
- Dependents of military members deployed for more than 365 consecutive days.
- Bona fide family members (up to age 23 with a valid identification card) of a service member of the uniformed services when accompanied by their sponsor who is in an ordinary leave status within overseas areas between overseas stations and air terminals in the CONUS.
- This privilege does not apply to travel of dependents to or from a sponsor's restricted or unaccompanied tour location or to travel in a leave status to or from TDY locations. It applies only to round-trip travel to an overseas area or the CONUS with the sponsor. DODI 4515.13 restricts use of these privileges to establish a home for family members in an overseas area or the CONUS.
- Foreign exchange service members on permanent duty with the DoD, when in a leave status.