Colonel Johnny M. Ryan, Jr. is the commander, 130th Airlift Wing, McLaughlin Air National Guard Base, Charleston, West Virginia. He is responsible for formulation, development and coordination of all policies, programs, and plans for more than 1,100 personnel and 10 aircraft.
Colonel Ryan has served as Commander of the 130th Operations Group, Deputy Operations Group Commander, Squadron Commander, Air Operations Officer, Chief of Standardization and Evaluation, Chief of Training, and Squadron Safety Officer. Colonel Ryan entered military service in Nov. 1983 and served as a pavement maintenance specialist with the 375th Civil Engineering Squadron, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
Colonel Ryan was commissioned as a second lieutenant in Nov. 1992 upon completion of the Academy of Military Science. He completed United States Air Force Undergraduate Pilot Training at Vance Air Force Base, Okla. in 1994. When activated for Operation IRAQI FREEDOM in 2003, he served as an Aircraft Commander for the 485th Air Expeditionary Wing, Tabuk, Saudi Arabia and the 379th Air Expeditionary Wing, 180th Expeditionary Squadron, Al Udied Air Base, Qatar. Colonel Ryan also served as the Commander, 774th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron, and recently as Deputy Operations Group commander, Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan. Other major deployments include Coronet Oak (Panama/ Puerto Rico), Southern Watch (Saudi Arabia), and Joint Forge (Bosnia/Kosovo).
Colonel Ryan is a Command pilot, functional Check Pilot, Flight Examiner, and Instructor Pilot in the C-130th H3 aircraft with over 4,000 military flying hours. He holds a Civilian Airline Transport and Commercial Certificate.
1991 Bachelor of Science, Aeronautics, St. Louis University, St. Louis, Mo.
1992 Academy of Military Science, McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
1998 Air National Guard Advanced Airlift Tactics Training Course, St. Joseph, Mo.
1998 Air National Guard Chief of Safety Course, Kirkland AFB, N.M.
2000 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2004 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2006 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
1. 1984-1987, 375th Civil Engineering Squadron, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
2. 1994- 1995, 130th Airlift Squadron Pilot, Charleston, W.Va.
3. 1995-2000, 130th Airlift Squadron Safety Officer, Charleston, W.Va.
4. 2000-2001, 130th Airlift Squadron Pilot, Charleston, W.Va.
5. 2001-2003, 130th Airlift Squadron Chief of Standards and Evaluation, Charleston, W.Va.
6. 2003-2004, South West Asia, Aircraft Commander
7. 2004-2005, 130th Operations Group Chief of Standards and Evaluation, Charleston, W.Va.
8. 2005-2006, 130th Operations Group Deputy Commander, Charleston, W.Va.
9. 2006-2007, 130th Airlift Squadron Commander, Charleston, W.Va.
10. 2007-2007, 774th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron Commander, Bagram AB, Afghanistan
11. 2007-2012, 130th Operations Group Commander, Charleston, W.Va.
12. 2012-2012, 455th Expeditionary Operations Group Deputy Commander, Bagram AB, Afghanistan
13. 2012-2015, 130th Airlift Wing Vice Commander, Charleston, W.Va.
14. 2015-Present, 130th Airlift Wing Commander, Charleston, W.Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Medal with three Oak Leaf Clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with two Oak Leaf Clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one Oak Leaf Cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with one Oak Leaf Cluster
AF Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device
Air Force Good Conduct Medal with one Oak Leaf Cluster
National Defense Service Medal with one Bronze Star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with one Bronze Star
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal with two Bronze Stars
Humanitarian Service Medal with one Bronze Star
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border with one Oak Leaf Cluster
Air Force Longevity Service with four Oak Leaf Clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with two 'M' Devices
United States Air Force NCO PME Graduate Ribbon
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon with one Bronze Star
Air Force Training Ribbon with one Oak Leaf Cluster
West Virginia Distinguished Unit Award
West Virginia Service Ribbon with one Oak Leaf Cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTIONS
Second Lieutenant July 27, 1992
First Lieutenant Jan. 24, 1995
Captain Feb. 02, 1997
Major Feb. 16, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel Feb. 16, 2005
Colonel Feb. 22, 2009